This developed paddler and angler access site located at 12059 Pipesville Road Howard 43028 on the Kokosing River offers ample parking facilities. Located approximately one-half mile south of the intersection of Pipesville Road and S. R. 36, the site includes benches for rest and relaxation, a picnic table, grill and information kiosk. For solo paddlers that wish to paddle and pedal, Kokosing Gap Trail access is north and within a mile of the site in Howard.
While visiting this site, notice the huge, hand-hewn sandstone blocks. These blocks were used to form the abutments for a bridge that used to stand at the site. The bridge was originally constructed in 1874 before the flood of 1913 wiped out the east span. In 1914 the span was replaced. According to the National Park Service publication, Historic American Engineering Record, “The Howard Bridge, a double-intersection Pratt through truss is an example of David H. Morrison’s Patent Wrought Iron Quadrilateral Truss Bridge.” David Morrison, founder of the Columbia Bridge Works, was an important Ohio engineer.